Now Accepting City Market Executive Director Applications!August 20, 2020
Executive Director, Indianapolis City Market—The Indianapolis City Market is seeking a bold, innovative and visionary leader to become its next Executive Director. The city-owned property, managed by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a historic and architectural treasure; it opened at this site in 1886 and has been in continuous use as a public market ever since. More than 130 years on, the City Market is still a popular eating, gathering and community event space. It also serves as the cultural heart of Market East, a booming downtown neighborhood that hosts thousands of residents, office workers and out-of-town visitors each day. Best of all, the City Market’s future is bright and open to many possibilities. The financial support and goodwill of the community will provide the next Executive Director the perfect platform for launching new initiatives serving an even broader audience.
The City Market occupies one of the most desirable locations in one of the country’s most dynamic cities. Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the new Cummins world headquarters, the City-County Building and other entities are driving housing, retail and office development on the east side of downtown Indianapolis. Today’s City Market is best known for its main hall and mezzanine space hosting more than 30 small businesses, including a wide variety of restaurants, coffee shops, a tap room, retail shops and more. The property also has two large wings that currently house event space, offices and a YMCA recreation center and two outdoor plazas providing space for seating, entertainment and a weekly farmer’s market in the summer. Additionally, an unused alley directly behind the City Market offers unlimited potential for creative use and/or activation.
The next Executive Director, working alongside a forward-looking board and supported by the City and a host of collaborative partners, will have an opportunity to put his or her mark on downtown Indianapolis. Priorities for the role include:
- Serving as the respected face and lead champion of the City Market, building partnerships, advocating for resources and working tirelessly to ensure its success
- Developing and implementing a dynamic long-term vision—one created in conjunction with community stakeholders and meshing well with the downtown ecosystem
- Generating resources to fund new ideas and ensure financial sustainability, through fundraising, enhancing current revenue streams or implementing new business models
- Working productively with the City Market merchants, providing exceptional customer service, supporting business success and strategically recruiting the right mix of tenants to maximize appeal to consumers
- Using the City Market as a vehicle for positive community change, developing programming and partnerships that address such challenging issues as systemic racism, poverty, homelessness and environmental sustainability
The ideal candidate will be high-energy, people-oriented and experienced in leading a successful for-profit business or nonprofit organization. Experience in real estate and/or tenant management and a passion for helping small businesses (especially in food service) succeed are highly desirable. The next Executive Director should be a champion for community development and creative placemaking and committed to helping Indianapolis build the best downtown in the U.S.
Indianapolis City Market is seeking a diverse slate of candidates to consider for this exciting opportunity. This position requires a bachelor’s degree, or significant related experience, as well as at least five years’ experience in a leadership role. Candidates must have strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated success in business management, including financial oversight and staff supervision, and experience in fundraising or revenue development. Public market experience, as well as experience with facilities management and working with historic buildings, are highly desirable. This is an exempt, full-time role with responsibilities that often extend beyond traditional business hours into evenings and weekends. The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Learn more about the job and submit an application by visiting https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com/jobs/182792.html.
Qualified candidates with questions are encouraged to contact Charitable Advisors: Don Gulbrandsen, Director of Consulting, at Don@CharitableAdvisors.com..